Pinckneyville team wins high school classic

Pinckneyville team wins the High School Bass Classic

CARTERVILLE — The Pinckneyville team of Corey Dahn and Kyle Kreger won the seventh annual Crab Orchard Refuge High School Bass Classic by almost two pounds on the first day of the Southern Illinois Hunting & Fishing Days, hosted by John A. Logan College on Saturday.

“We went all around the lake and started out pretty strong, having the full limit of about 10 pounds by 8 o’clock,” Kreger, a junior at PCHS, said. “We caught probably 12 today and culled seven. They were all about the same size, so it was hard to tell which one was the biggest. The best area for us on the south end of the lake. We used frogs, shaky heads and we pitched a little bit.”

Dahn and Kreger hauled in the five fish limit for a whopping 16.80 pounds to easily beat the second place team of Cody Miles and Jordan Bowlin from Benton (15.03 pounds).

“It started off hot and stayed hot, but we had a good day,” Dahn, a senior, said. “We caught fish all day just fishing like we always fish. This is our second year in this tournament and we didn’t do too well last year. Our other team won last year. One graduated and the one that returned pulled in the second biggest bass.”

There were a total of 10 teams out the of 36 boat field that finished with over 10 pounds. The haul came in at 158 fish for a grand total of 287.14 pounds.

Zack Liddell from Carterville won the Big Bass Award with a 5.35 pound whopper, edging out Grant Murphy from Pinckneyville by two-tenths of a pound. Ziddell’s weekend got off to a great start Friday with the Lions football team, for which he plays offensive tackle, knocking off previously undefeated Anna-Jonesboro.

“I caught this fish at 12:30 and the tournament ended at 1 o’clock,” Liddell said. “Once I set the hook I definitely knew it was a good one, but I didn’t know it was good enough to be big bass. I won’t tell you where exactly I caught the fish, but it was in a new spot we’ve never fished before. It was just kind of a spur of the moment thing.”

The boats hit the water at 6:30 a.m. and had six and a half hours to catch the limit of five fish. Each boat was limited to two people and the catch was limited to no more than three fish per angler.

Twenty-six of the boats caught the limit, with two boats finishing with four, six with three, one with two and one boat that failed to catch a keeper….Read More